About Me

Santa Cruz, California
I'm a 21 year old student and artist who makes games and other art. This is my portfolio.

Sunday, March 30, 2008

Poetry

I've always enjoyed writing, so this year I took a bunch of creative writing classes to see what would come out.

I wound up producing a ton of poetry, so I'd like to share some of my favorites. These have all been heavily revised and workshopped with a bunch of poets, and I got 'A's in both classes, so I'm pretty sure there's some quality here.

I hope you'll take the time to read through these and enjoy.

Oh, also, I apologize for the somewhat overwhelming formatting, blogger is a bit restrictive. Its very important the ways look on the page, and here they look funny and not-so-compelling. If you want to read these as they were meant to be read, let me know and I'll throw you the .doc



Untitled

phantasm plantgasm seedling gone by

missing the moisture and light from the sky

once soaring and flooring with slight sweeping style

risen, imprisoned, and stored for a while

temperature dropping stasis for cells

given religion, a deep frigid hell

tactically frozen fearing the worst

man plans ahead knowing his curse

of altering, faltering, not thinking ahead

so he plans like the ants and gets ready instead






Decorate your Cave

Freshly painted slabs of empty canvas cry out for content.

This is a war they fight for sterile hopeless surroundings.

I could do something about that, a name, a face, a broadcasted physical emotion.

Does this safe white and beige and gray backdrop help you to achieve your goals?


This is a war they fight for sterile hopeless surroundings.

Sanctioned-selling-art shouts at me from all directions, but I can't talk back?

Does this safe white and beige and gray backdrop help you to achieve your goals?

Everyone should be able to express themselves explosively all over their natural habitat.


Sanctioned-selling-art shouts at me from all directions, but I can't talk back?

Hire an exterior decorator to make over the open-air corridors that line your daily pilgrimages.

Everyone should be able to express themselves explosively all over their natural habitat.

Don’t hold back and allow a thought, a dream, an inspiration, fade into the cracked gutters of your brain.


Hire an exterior decorator to make over the open-air corridors that line your daily pilgrimages.

Examine the unregulated independent idea-streams that flow onto urban open spaces.

Don’t hold back and allow a thought, a dream, an inspiration, fade into the cracked gutters of your brain.

Don't hoard your psycho-emotional manifestations away. Invent. Share. Repeat.


Examine the unregulated independent idea-streams that flow onto urban open spaces.

Grab an idea-archiver and etch your daily musings somewhere static.

Don't hoard your psycho-emotional manifestations away. Invent. Share. Repeat.

Choose a piece of the world that will be viewed by many. Mark your territory and influence a population.


Grab an idea-archiver and etch your daily musings somewhere static.

The established artistic channels are clogged with clones and competition. Art for the art of it.

Choose a piece of the world that will be viewed by many. Mark your territory and influence a population.

Afraid of authority and consequences? Be more afraid of censorship and the immensity of the unremembered population who didn’t leave a mark.


The established artistic channels are clogged with clones and competition. Art for the art of it.

It is an ancient practice, older than walls or paint or words. Find a cave and draw on the wall.

Afraid of authority and consequences? Be more afraid of censorship and the immensity of the unremembered population who didn’t leave a mark.

Freshly painted slabs of empty canvas cry out for content.





Finger Explorations

I tried to stick my finger in an electric pencil sharpener, my finger didn't fit, but it still started buzzing excitedly.

I tried to stick my finger in a cake to see if it was done, it was, but I burnt my finger.

I tried to stick my finger in the faucet of the sink, pressure built up, then water sprayed all over the room.

I tried to stick my finger in a stapler, it didn't hurt but it bled and bled for almost an hour.

I tried to stick my finger in a cat, one end was smelly and the other was sharp, I didn’t want to try my luck.

I tried to stick my finger in my nose, I found a cave full of magical treasures.

I tried to stick my finger in other people's noses, I wasn't usually successful but when I did succeed it was glorious!

I tried to stick my finger in dry ice, it burned for a second then went totally numb.

I tried to stick my finger in a rubber pencil grip, it was squishy and fun, my finger stayed for a while.

I tried to stick my finger in moldy cottage cheese, the mold was fuzzy and adorable yet somehow vomit inducing as well.

I tried to stick my finger in a woman, it didn't go over well, apparently they like it if you talk to them first.

I tried to stick my finger in my ear, the outside world grew softer, but I could still feel it vibrating on without me.

I tried to stick my finger in an electrical outlet, it didn't fit, but a fork sure did.

I tried to stick my finger in a rat cage, it turns out food and fingers are equatable in the rodent mind.

I tried to stick my finger in a keyhole, it was a tight fit and I got stuck; they had to call in the fire department to free my finger.

I tried to stick my finger in a bubbling stew, it was just about ready and I got to share my pneumonia with my dinner guests.

I tried to stick my finger in a tree, I found a good hole but it was full of sticky sap.

I tried to stick my finger in bear scat, it was warm and pleasant and full of berries.

I tried to stick my finger in a lawn mower, now I need to use a different finger for my explorations.

I tried to stick my finger in a cow, I succeeded and then wished I hadn't.

I tried to stick my finger in a photocopier, now images of my finger adorn my walls.

I tried to stick my finger in a baby, the mother screamed and now I'm doing 10 to 15 in a federal detention facility.

I tried to stick my finger in my cellmate; it was the beginning of a long and prosperous friendship.






Kyozo, behind the dorms and in the woods

I stand atop the rocky ridge, taking shelter from ruptured clouds.

The weightless gray and drifting reservoirs of the forest are pierced by redwood pikes.

My arms are sore, and the cracks and crevices of my hands are lined in dirt and blood and sharp defensive pieces of tree.

We work like beavers, collecting felled branches from the amply littered forest to patch the holes in our steadily decomposing woodland fortress.

My companion struggles over the hill lugging two severely soaked structural supports.

“I found an untouched stash that needs pillaging.” he says.

I scramble down the treacherous hill to resume my labors of leisure.





Bread


First you, throw some warm water and yeast in the bottom of a bowl and let it sit for a minute while you get the rest of the ingredients ready:

Flour, water, salt, and sugar.

Now throw them in the bowl.

You can use measuring utensils if you feel the need to be scientific, but really you just need to remember one important thing:

The flour to water ratio should be roughly 3:1.

Yeast, flour, and water are the building blocks of bread, everything else is just frills and decoration. Go ahead, add your embellishments, they’ll give your dough personality.

You need a bit more salt if you want your bread to be serious, a bit more sugar if you want it to be sweet and tantalizing.

Now knead. Don’t be afraid to get your hands a bit sticky. There are machines to do the mixing for you, but why deprive your bread of a soul?

As you knead, add a bit of flour if your dough is too sticky and a bit of water if it’s too dry, you need to reach a moist, but not-too-adhesive equilibrium.

Once the first dose of effort has been added to your dough, drape a cloth over your bowl, and find somewhere warm and protected to place your creation, as the yeast mobilizes and gets down to its job of gluttony and excrement.

A few hour later your dough should be grown up and ready to be molded.

A nice surface should be prepared, with flour lightly sprinkled, and whatever tools you need on hand. Punch down your dough, you need to reclaim it from the yeast, and begin the real preparations.

Once your dough has been properly abused, throw it on the work surface and get back to kneading.

Punch it down, fold it over,

punch it down, fold it over,

and knead, and knead and knead, and knead.

Once your dough has toughened up and is resisting your violent advances, its time to decide upon its final form.What shape will your breadly incarnation take?

Roll, and shape, and pinch, and plead until your dough looks pretty and good enough to devour.

Find something to bake on, place your raw dough upon it, and then put it aside, covered, to rise some more. This rise doesn’t need as much time, you just need to give your dough a chance to grow into its new shape.

Now, turn on your oven to something hot and by the time it is, your dough should be ready to go in. This is your last chance to modify the recipe, sprinkle something on top, or make some artful cuts. If none of that is necessary, open the oven, and throw in your dough for its graduation to edibility.

Check on your bread on a regular basis, don’t place your trust in kitchen timers.

When you open the oven to find your bread hard and golden, take it out and let it cool.

Now its time to share your labors, who will be able to resist?

No comments:

Blog Archive